Friday, December 03, 2004

George Galloway wins Saddam libel case

It would be wrong of me not to include something on this. Way to go George. - PolPop

BBC Report

MP George Galloway has been awarded £150,000 in libel damages from the Daily Telegraph over claims he received money from Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq. The Glasgow Kelvin MP was awarded the damages in compensation for articles published by the paper in April 2003.

He had denied ever seeking or receiving money from Saddam Hussein's government, which he said he had long opposed. The newspaper said it was in the public interest to publish the claims, based on documents found in Baghdad.

Mr Justice Eady said he was "obliged to compensate Mr Galloway and to make an award for the purposes of restoring his reputation".

Outside the court, Mr Galloway said: "I had to risk absolute and utter ruin to bring this case.

"If I had lost I would have been homeless, I would have had everything I possess taken from me and would have been bankrupted and forced out of public office. I don't feel in any way happy about the award of £150,000."

1 Comments:

At January 18, 2007 at 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even in England (Oh! Sorry, he's in Scotland isn't he, that explains it) crooks can get away with it if they go to "Court"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home